We never thought we would have to say this, but with everything that is going on right now with energy suppliers, it is best to follow the standard advice of not to switch suppliers.
As tempting as it may be to think you could still secure a better deal, it is better to stick with the supplier you have, as even if they go bust OFGEM will ensure a new supplier is allotted to you with no disruption in supply.
The deals are just not there to be had at the moment whilst we ride the wave of the energy crisis, but if you are concerned about how much energy you are using there are some things you can do to to minimise that.
- Turn your heating down by one degree
- Adjust radiator thermostats to come on in only rooms you use
- Switch off any appliances on standby
- Cut back your dishwasher and washing machine use by one/two cycles a week and ensure they are full when using
- Don’t overfill your kettle
- Use a water efficient shower head and spend less time in the shower
- Draught-proof windows and doors
- Switch to LED bulbs
- Using a smart meter can help you monitor your usage
- Turn off the lights when you aren’t using them
These measures can help you save energy and reduce your carbon footprint too. So although you cannot switch right now, you and your family can be taking measures to save on the energy your home is using.
It will take time to make some new habits, but if you get into this habits, your bills will be smaller and right now this is the mindset we all need to be in. If you know someone or a household that is struggling with fuel poverty our LEAP service could help them.