Job title: Project Officer
Green Energy Switch (GES) is a subsidiary of Peterborough Environment City Trust, an independent and innovative environmental charity helping to protect and enhance the environment throughout Peterborough and beyond. GES donates all its profits to PECT to help fund their work.
Green Energy Switch is a dynamic company that delivers a broad range of energy services across the UK for businesses, registered social landlords, local authorities and individuals. We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious individual to join our highly skilled team based in Peterborough.
Purpose of role:
Green Energy Switch are recruiting a Project Officer to work in its Energy Services Team. As a Project Officer you will provide a comprehensive advisory service on fuel poverty, energy, water efficiency and related topics to the public, both face to face and via telephone help lines working on behavioural change projects and initiatives that improve the quality of life for local people.
You will work on a range of energy saving projects including home energy visits, business energy comparisons, accessing eco funding). The role involves partnership development and liaison with a range of stakeholders, including residents, local authorities, housing associations, community groups, businesses and utility companies. You’ll be given all the support and guidance you need and you will have the opportunity to become part of a highly successful organisation making a real and positive difference to the local area.
You will be smart in appearance to be the ‘public face’ of our organisation, with a friendly, courteous and professional nature. The ideal candidate will be confident working in both a busy team environment and on their own initiative. Strong organisational and communication skills are imperative.
This opportunity is a fixed term contract with possibility of expansion. The experience and training gained through the project, will give the post holder an excellent insight into the energy sector and will ensure they are well placed to pursue future employment in the field of energy efficiency.
Employer: Green Energy Switch Ltd
Based: Ham Lane House, Ham Lane, Peterborough PE2 5UU
Salary (per annum pro rata): £18,000 per annum
Closing Date for applications: 30 August 2019 at 5pm
Interview Date: 4 & 5 September 2019
Start Date: asap
Hours/Week: 37 hours – Fixed Term Contract – 12 Months – part time hours will be considered
Work outside normal hours: Evening and weekend work will be required
Reports to: Energy Services Project Manager
- To undertake home energy visits to advise on saving energy and water
- To identify potential for heating and insulation measures.
- To use a variety of methods to persuade and encourage shifts to more energy and water efficient living and to reduce fuel and water poverty through the provision of advice and guidance
- Provide practical help and guidance on lower energy cost options and change tariffs
- Work with the marketing coordinator to ensure high project profile amongst residents, businesses and the media.
- Assist the Project Manager with the development and refinement of processes, to ensure efficient delivery of projects
- Have a keen eye for detail
- Be customer focused with strong communication skills
- Evaluate and monitor activities using performance indicators
- Attend local events and speak to businesses and residents
- Ability to work to and achieve challenging targets
- Be highly organised in your approach to sales, documentation and record keeping
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and manage own workload to meet strict deadlines and targets
- Able to work well under pressure
- Support the Project Manager on other tasks appropriate to the scale, as and when required.
- Any other ad hoc duties
- Experience of working in a public facing role.
- Knowledge of domestic sustainable energy and affordable warmth issues
- An excellent written and verbal communicator, with the ability to provide clear, relevant technical and non-technical advice to members of the public and other officers.
- Ability to promote and market energy and environmental advice to residents and to provide targeted advice and assistance to residents in fuel poverty.
- Ability to work in collaboration with, and on behalf of other public bodies including local authorities.
- Excellent IT skills, including a good working knowledge of: Microsoft Windows, Excel, Outlook, Word.
- Willingness to undertake an Enhanced satisfactory clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service formally known as the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Disclosure.
- Ability to prepare written and visual information.
- Knowledge of energy supply tariffs and their characteristics
- Knowledge of ECO funding
- Ability to pick up new skills and knowledge quickly and learn and develop in an ever-changing environment.
- Enthusiasm for and understanding of environmental / sustainable development issues
The Project Officer will be based at the GES’s office in Peterborough and will work normal office hours, however on occasions will be required to work outside these hours and away from the office. Staff are required to attend occasional training courses, conferences and meetings that will necessitate staying away from home overnight.
Equal Opportunities – All employees will be given equal opportunity and, where appropriate, training to progress within the organisation or to further their careers externally. All employees shall assist in preventing discrimination and promoting equal opportunities.
Probation – On appointment staff will undergo a period of induction during which all elements of the role will be clarified and explained. Support will be available through regular meetings with their line manager. GES probation period is 6 months.
Appraisal – All staff will have an appraisal twice yearly with their line manager about their performance. The discussion will recognise good performance and address weaker areas. Most of the content will relate to the future and would result in specific plan for targets, training and development to help the individual progress. Appraisals should be regarded as positive opportunities for assessment and not directly concerned with discipline, grievance or redundancy.
Expectations the company has of all staff:
- Responsible presentation of all GES services
- Adherence to our Equal Opportunities Policy
- Fulfilment of the job description/specification
- Liaison with other members of staff concerning relevant issues
- To respect confidentiality
- Attendance at team, staff and partner meetings
- Provide notice of sickness and other absences to line manager
- Provide advance notice of holidays
- Exhibit empathy with the client group
- Car, with appropriate insurance cover for business use (where role requires)
This is a description of the job, as it is constituted at the date shown. It is the practice of GES to periodically examine Job Descriptions, update them and ensure that they relate to the job performed, or to incorporate any proposed changes. The General Manager of GES will conduct this procedure in consultation with the post holder.
In these circumstances it will be the aim to reach agreement on reasonable changes but if agreement is not possible, management reserves the right to make changes to your job description following consultation.
Description prepared Maxine Palmer (Director) 14.8.19
Please send your C.V with covering letter to sarah.chatterton@
If you are a confident, articulate communicator who enjoys talking to people and finding solutions to their problems, then we have just the job for you.
We are looking to recruit a friendly, personable Home Energy Advisor / Project Officer to join our team based in Peterborough and Rutland.
Our home visits team are a vibrant, creative group of energy efficiency champions, who love to find ways to improve people’s lives by helping them use less energy, live more sustainably, and be warm, healthy and comfortable in their own homes.